Re: Printers using free software only

On Sat 28 Jul 2012 at 13:37:22 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:49:53 +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> > It matches your "1/". Here is another one:
> >
> >    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/18972-18972-3328060-15077-236268-3965798-3965802-3965808.html?dnr=1
>
> Ah, you must be referring to:
>
> ***
> Print languages, standard HP PCL 6; HP PCL 5c; HP postscript level 3
> emulation; direct PDF printing v 1.4
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> ***
>
> But I already knew there are printers in the market that direct print to
> PDF (as well as options 2/ and 3/ are also possible). I did not asked
> about that. I asked what *you* were speaking/referring to when you talked
> about "PDF printers".

Your multiple choice quiz had

    > 1/ A physical device (printer) with physical PDF interpreter
    >  on it (PDF add-on card)?

and

    > Because until now I have not seen a thing like "1/" . . , .

Looks like I misunderstood you.

Anyway: a PostScript printer has a PostScript interpreter; a PCL printer
has a PCL interpreter; a PDF printer has a PDF interpreter. They accept
print jobs sent directly to them in the supported language.

> Side note: do you known what's the required/recommended memory to
> directly print to PDF? And what happens with PDF v1.7, will you have to
> buy a new module for supporting the new upcoming standards? >:-)

I've no idea, really. The two links I supplied mention 0.5 GB and 1,0 GB.

> > No. I mean taking the link you already have
> >
> >    http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/pdfasstandardprintjobformat
> >    ,

> There are no technical reasons (neither what's the real gain for users)
> listed there but how to start using the new filter facility within CUPS.

We'll have to disagree on that, then

> > reading it as a whole and following up on how the system was developed.
> > The third and fourth paragraphs of Roger Leigh's post might help with
> > any searches.
>
> I've found another doc comparing for options:
>
> http://www.adobe.com/print/features/psvspdf/
>
> But I'd say the author is not "neutral" ;-)

Possibly not. But he should be expected to know what he is writing about.

> > Some of us have been doing precisely that (using and testing) for three
> > or four years. When you get to Squeeze or Wheezy you can join in too.
>
> All my printers support PostScript directly, why should I ignore that fact?

You shouldn't. Just keep sending PostScript to CUPS and it will be printed.