Re: Printers using free software only

On Sat 28 Jul 2012 at 10:58:02 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 18:26:05 +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> > http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/review/1956699/review-hp-laserjet-cp4525-colour-printer
>
> Uh, what is this link for? :-?

You didn't read all of the content? It matches your "1/". Here is
another one:

   http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/18972-18972-3328060-15077-236268-3965798-3965802-3965808.html?dnr=1

[Snip]

> Anyway, you did not respond to the question about what you consider to be
> a PDF printer.

I rather think I did. Twice now.

> > Moving to a PDF workflow was a considered decision based on technical
> > considerations.
>
> You mean the above mentioned "four easies"? >:-P

No. I mean taking the link you already have

   http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/pdfasstandardprintjobformat ,

reading it as a whole and following up on how the system was developed.
The third and fourth paragraphs of Roger Leigh's post might help with
any searches.

> > A good deal of the CUPS printing system is now managed directly by
> > Debian/Ubuntu and not by upstream.
>
> That's good but still dependant of the main CUPS development done by Apple.

It would have been more accurate if I had mentioned the Linux Foundation
and OpenPrinting instead of just Debian/Ubuntu.

> > If you are using Lenny, what do you expect!
>
> I expect to use a solution/system/method (you can call it as you want) that
> has been tested harshly over the years and has been working okay.

Some of us have been doing precisely that (using and testing) for three
or four years. When you get to Squeeze or Wheezy you can join in too.