Re: Printers using free software only

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 16:43:24 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Fri 27 Jul 2012 at 14:15:56 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> How can be that adding an extra step (which increases time and
>> resources) is something "good"? And good for "who" (developers,
>> printers or users)?
>
> Its a balance. Pros and cons. With a PDF printer:

Define a "PDF printer". What's that?

1/ A physical device (printer) with physical PDF interpreter on it (PDF
add-on card)?

2/ A physical device (printer) with logical PDF interpreter on it
(software that runs the convertion)?

3/ A software device (virtual printer) with logical PDF interpreter on it
(code that runs the convertion)?

Because until now I have not seen a thing like "1/" and PostScript
printer modules are truly costly (it can take up to $200/300) :-)

>    On Lenny:   PDF --> pdftops  --> pstops --> pstopdf ----> Printer
>
>    On Squeeze: PDF --> pdftopdf ----> Printer
>
> I don't think I would want to criticise the PostScript centred workflow
> solely on this.

No, of course, me neither.

But what I wouldn't like to see is a moving to PDF just because the sake
of moving to something more manageable without having into account
technical reasons but simplicity and force-joining (that is, "if CUPS -
owned by Apple- moves on PDF, linux will follow without questioning the
pros and cons"). I would like to see, now more than ever, less
"dependency" on CUPS (by "dependency" I mean here that it would be nice
to have different alternatives as powerful as CUPS).

> The heart of the matter could be seen as pdftopdf versus pstops. The
> advantages pdftopdf have been adequately covered - an earlier mail and
> points 2 to 5 above. Perhaps you could give us the advantages of pstops
> and what we are missing out on when it is not used.

Well, I still can't speak on pdftopdf because is too new (there you have
a "con") and not present in my system while pstops is:

sm01@stt008:~$ locate pstops
/etc/cups/oopstops.convs
/etc/cups/oopstops.types
/usr/lib/cups/filter/oopstops