Re: Printers using free software only

Le jeudi 26 juillet 2012 à 23:14 +0100, Brian a écrit :
> I'll take the 'whatever'.
>
>    lp -d <print_queue> -o raw test.ps
>
> goes to the printer (the machine) without any filtering and gives a nice
> printout if the machine understands PostScript.
>
>    lp -d <print_queue> -o raw test.pdf
>
> also does the same but the printout will not please you unless the
> machine has a PDF interpreter.

Well, on my system it prints fine. I'm glad to know my PS printer can
understand PDF as well (and raw ascii text too BTW) :)

Now just remove the "-o raw" and you can print whatever you want … This
was my point: you use lp which is provided by a package which does all
the filtering work for you (except if you explicitly tell it not to do).

Should you say you had to pipe your file directly to the printer, the
choice of the output format could become a serious issue for you. But
you have filters. Then I don't understand why you care about the output
format of your applications.