Re: Instability in Wheezy system

On 26/07/12 10:37 PM, Carl Fink wrote:
I report a problem I experienced.

I have a homebrew tower built around the AMD FX-8120 running Wheezy. 16 GB
of RAM, an 80 GB SSD for the OS and a 2 TB spinning disk drive for data.

Today I had a 30 minute Skype call. (2.2 client) After I hung up, I clicked
on a message in my GMail box in Chromium. I started getting the "Stopped
responding, click Kill or Wait" dialog.

Killed Chromium, reloaded, tried again. Same.

Loaded Super Tux Kart. It drew its window but didn't actually load any karts
or tracks, and froze with an empty frame.

Ran htop in a terminal, except it never ran.

Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get a VT. htop as root froze there, too.

In VT2, "ps a" froze.

In VT3, nothing interesting in the logs.

Regular top would run but showed nothing useful.

I ran "reboot". The shutdown process froze at "deactivating BlueTooth."

I had to use the mechanical reset button. Linux boxes should never need
mechanical reset.

Ideas?
Have you run memtest86+?

Another problem could be your motherboard. Have you tried booting from a (different distro) live CD to see if the problem occurs on it too?