Re: mail server

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 01:17:15 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 16:52:25 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>
>>> need suggestions, i know there are few populer mail servers like
>>> postfix, sandmail etc out there.

(...)

>> My ingredients for the recipe:
>>
>> - Fetchmail (or getmail) for polling e-mails form your remote provider
>> - Postfix (for local/remote lmtp/smtp services) - Cyrus (for
>> local/remote pop/imap services) - Spamassassin (anti-spam)
>> - ClamAV (antivirus if using windows stations) - Amavisd-new (I call it
>> "the glue" because I use it to join all the pieces)
>>
>> I have no webmail (forbidden), e-mail users are stored in a separate
>> database (sasl2db) and are not system users which means no login shell.
>>

> how you perform basic tasks like mail-ques checking, logs, mail box
> create, delete, mail restriction .etc.....?

IIRC, last time I checked years ago, there were some GUI based frontends
to perform the usual operations with Cyrus and Postfix (and also webmin
has to provide a couple of modules to manage these services) but I still
prefer to do it manually -using the command line- because I find it to be
more secure and less prone to errors or missconfigurations. Of course,
this cannot be suitable for a thousand users configuration but still a
valid option for managing a bunch of accounts.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón