Re: systemd

On Wed, 2012-07-25 at 23:38 +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 06:16:11PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Ma, 24 iul 12, 12:38:12, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > I'm confused, will Debian or will Debian not switch to systemd?
> >
> > Definitely not for wheezy, it's already frozen. As I understand from
> > lurking on -devel, the plan is to demote sysvinit from Essential as soon
> > as the wheezy+1 development cycle starts, to allow admins to experiment
> > with systemd or upstart.
>
> Just to clarify, the removal of the Essential status from sysvinit
> changes nothing--it's pointless and doesn't affect experimentation
> with systemd or upstart, both of which can be used as a sysvinit
> replacement right now.  It will just make some of the dependencies
> slightly cleaner, but is only a tiny detail.

I apologize again for my rant against
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/e/ea/Interviews_LennartPoettering_Picture.jpg

However, many people claim that pulseaudio is an advantage only. And now
everybody claims that systemd is an advantage only.

I experienced pulseaudio as a PITA for myself (pro-audio), but also as a
showstopper when "averaged" people (= people who don't need pro-audio)
try to switch from Windows to Linux.

Is systemd ready yet?

To get off the track: Not only Poettering's stuff is "experimental",
also the switch from nv to nouveau IMO is insane.

I decided to use Linux, because Linux in the past based on stable
software. I wonder about the benefits to switch to unfinished stuff
nowadays.

Believing what I read at Arch-general mailing list, configuring systemd
will be in some kind of irrational secret language.

I'm sceptical, but to be fair, I never tested systemd myself.

Regards,
Ralf