Re: systemd

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 06:16:11PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Ma, 24 iul 12, 12:38:12, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > I'm confused, will Debian or will Debian not switch to systemd?
>
> Definitely not for wheezy, it's already frozen. As I understand from
> lurking on -devel, the plan is to demote sysvinit from Essential as soon
> as the wheezy+1 development cycle starts, to allow admins to experiment
> with systemd or upstart.

Just to clarify, the removal of the Essential status from sysvinit
changes nothing--it's pointless and doesn't affect experimentation
with systemd or upstart, both of which can be used as a sysvinit
replacement right now.  It will just make some of the dependencies
slightly cleaner, but is only a tiny detail.

> There where also discussions about OpenRC, but it needs support for LSB
> headers to be considered for Debian.

Yes.  Or we add support for OpenRC dependencies to insserv and
convert all scripts to use the OpenRC runscript format.  We might
end up doing both.  If anyone is interested in exploring OpenRC
use, please do get in touch.

Regards,
Roger

--