Re: mail server

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 16:52:25 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> need suggestions, i know there are few populer mail servers like
> postfix, sandmail etc out there.
>
> here is some details about my office.
>
> 1. 20 users.
> 2. pop from main server
> 3. send via SMTP
> 4. local mail distribution IMAP
>
> i am not looking in to easy or hard mail server. what i am looking is it
> should be good for my carrier and  for my office too. secure, stable,
> web base console etc.
>
> btw, i have heard that there is a mailserver called zimbra. but i think
> debian is not natively supporting it.

Ugh... I would avoid Zimbra as much as I can (nothing against it, is just
I don't like all-in-one solutions for mail services I prefer small pieces
of software performing a brilliantly work) :-)

> any help would be appreciable.

My ingredients for the recipe:

- Fetchmail (or getmail) for polling e-mails form your remote provider
- Postfix (for local/remote lmtp/smtp services)
- Cyrus (for local/remote pop/imap services)
- Spamassassin (anti-spam)
- ClamAV (antivirus if using windows stations)
- Amavisd-new (I call it "the glue" because I use it to join all the
pieces)

I have no webmail (forbidden), e-mail users are stored in a separate
database (sasl2db) and are not system users which means no login shell.

This setup has been serving me very well during many years and is very
flexible and powerful (though not easy to setup) because as it can be
expanded to support more users and a different user database backend
(e.g., SQL, PAM...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón