Re: Debian 5 - was Re: Query abouut root account

On 7/23/12, Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> wrote:
> [...]
>
> One of the reasons that I wanted to be able to log in as root, is to
> perform an update on that system.
>
> The system is running Firestarter on Debian 5.
>
> However, another problem has arisen, that indicates that that system
> apparently cannot be updated, and has to stay as it is, without having
> been updated for about a year or so, which is unfortunate for a
> firewall computer.

I've had fun with openBSD, and their firewall is pretty good. Have you
looked at that?

(Sorry if that's not an appropriate suggestion.)

> I have a Samsung MFP printer thing; a CLX-3185FW, and I had been able to
> use it with a Debian 5 system that I had been using. Then, the Debian 5
> system went awry (a separate system from the firewall system), and
> became apparently unusable.
>
> So, I  installed Debian 6 on another computer (this computer), and have
> been using that on this system, for the past few or several months.
>
> But I was unable to install the drivers for the printer, on the Debian 6
> workstation.
>
> I have now been advised by Samsung, that the CLX-3185FW works with
> Debian 3.x through 5.x, but does not work with Debian.

In many cases with CUPS, you can find a printer that is similar and
use the drivers/printer descriptors for that one instead. That's what
I'm doing with an EPSON all-in-one that I bought nearly ten years ago.

(Again, apologies if that's something you've already looked at.)

--
Joel Rees