latest postgresql version question

the steps outlined in /usr/share/doc/postgresql-common/README.Debian.gz
with regard to createuser to create a database on my system only generate
a message informing me that createuser couldn't connect to the database
and asking me if the communication is happening locally on port 5432.  I
downloaded debian packages to do this install and would like to know where
to read about necessary preliminaries I have skipped for this version of
the software.

eventually fails; software eventually works, no amount of band width can
fix poor design

Jude <jdashiel-at-shellworld-dot-net>