wifi connect _FAILS_ - was [Re: FROZEN Wheezy netinst - Where to get?]

Richard Owlett wrote:
Brian wrote:
On Sat 21 Jul 2012 at 07:36:34 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

I've been told that my problems with using netinst.iso at
a WiFi
hotspot have been solved in wheezy. "Debian Installer 7.0
Alpha1
release" [1] seems to confirm. I read the announcement
that Wheezy
was frozen as of June 30th [2].

I went looking for the frozen version of netinst.iso.

Development of the installer (bug fixes) continues during
the freeze.

This

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/wheezy_di_alpha1/i386/iso-cd/debian-wheezy-DI-a1-i386-netinst.iso

is fine for you to use. A beta version is on the horizon.

Thank you. If things don't work as *I* desire, I didn't want
to hear that I used wrong image ;/

Has anyone actually used netinst (any generation) to install Debian (any generation) to a virgin laptop when the *ONLY* available internet was using a WiFi hotspot? ???

All my attempts have failed at DHCP negotiation.

The same physical laptop (and at least one other) has happily connected at the identical physical location using Debian LiveCD, Ubuntu LiveCD, Slacko 5.3.3 LiveCD and (IIRC) Porteus 1.2 LiveCD.

I did end up with the very minimal CLI install. I.E. I can login and run
HELP
or
HELP command

Any members of development team (or designees) within 200 road miles of Springfield, MO? I'm more than willing to demonstrate problem to qualified witnesses - who knows, it may be "operator errer" ;/

I'm now retired, but in my 40's I went back to school. Two of my profs were discussing me and one said "You know, this young man can be persistent." The other replied, after significant pause, "Yes, about what he wants to be." I _want_ to be !