Re: Debian 5 - was Re: Query abouut root account

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012, Camaleón wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 02:04:37 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, Camaleón wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 18:23:02 +0100, Brian wrote:

As sure as I can be without moving round the world and after reading
http.debian.net. But it is easy for you to test for your country.
We'll wait in anticipation for your report. :)

***
Using the redirector

Replace your currently configured Debian mirror in sources.list with
the following address:

(...)

Archived releases (archive.debian.org):

http://http.debian.net/debian-archive ***

The host "debian.net" is a redirector and points your sources to the
archives. Files for lenny (and older releases) are there so what's what
you're missing? If a mirror is broken report it so it gets removed from
the list of mirrors ;-)

In the screen with at the top, "Configure the package manager", at the
top  of the list of countries, is "enter information manually".

(...)

Bret, I don't know what you current problem is with (as I didn't follow
the thread in full), I was only telling Brian that repositories for
archived distributions can be also found using the mirrorbrain redirector
and not just a static repo as source.

Selecting that leads to screen with

"
Please enter the hostname of the mirror from which Debian will be
downloaded.
An alternative port can be specified using the standard [hostname:port]
format.

Debian archive mirror hostname:
(http://http.debian.net/debian-archive)

You can try here with just the hostname, that is: "http.debian.net"

Please enter the directory in which the mirror of the Debian archive is
located.
(/debian)
"

(...)

An here with: "/debian-archive/debian"

THT.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

I do not know what the acronym "THT" means, but the method above, solved the problem, and Debian 5 is now installed on the laptop.

I have just realised that the "THT" may be meant to be "HTH" (-Hope That Helps (?) ). If that is the case, then I apologise for drawing attention to it, and, as shown, it did help.

Thank you very much.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale