Re: What does this mean?

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Paul E Condon
<pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> On 20120723_110432, Chris Bannister wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 04:18:07PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
>> > I have already downloaded Knoppix v7.0.1, per Chris' suggestion, but
>> > have not yet found out what to do with it. Does it have memory,
>> > component test software on it?
>>
>> Yes. At boot prompt read help screens. :)
>
> Using the disk I downloaded yesterday and got burnt today, there is a
> fancy KDE gui, but no help screens about such trivia as getting it
> working on possibly defective, broken, hardware. I got it working on a
> different computer and discovered that it uses UNIONFS to overlay an
> record of changes that one makes to files on the root partition.

It only saves stuff to physical disk if you tell it to, IIRC.

>  But
> even on my better computer, I couldn't find a way to exit from Knoppix
> gracefully. Shutdown only shut down KDE and left the computer in a
> state where it was unresponsive to any keyboard keys that I could
> think to try.

That's called the power-down state.

Many live CDs don't have the complete power manager stuff to cover
every mobo's way to turn itself completely off.

It should have put a message on the screen about it being safe to turn
the power off or re-boot, however.

--
Joel Rees