Re: Debian 5 - was Re: Query abouut root account

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 02:04:37 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, Camaleón wrote:
>

>> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 18:23:02 +0100, Brian wrote:

>>> As sure as I can be without moving round the world and after reading
>>> http.debian.net. But it is easy for you to test for your country.
>>> We'll wait in anticipation for your report. :)
>>
>> ***
>> Using the redirector
>>
>> Replace your currently configured Debian mirror in sources.list with
>> the following address:
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Archived releases (archive.debian.org):
>>
>> http://http.debian.net/debian-archive ***
>>
>> The host "debian.net" is a redirector and points your sources to the
>> archives. Files for lenny (and older releases) are there so what's what
>> you're missing? If a mirror is broken report it so it gets removed from
>> the list of mirrors ;-)
>>

> In the screen with at the top, "Configure the package manager", at the
> top  of the list of countries, is "enter information manually".

(...)

Bret, I don't know what you current problem is with (as I didn't follow
the thread in full), I was only telling Brian that repositories for
archived distributions can be also found using the mirrorbrain redirector
and not just a static repo as source.

> Selecting that leads to screen with
>
> "
> Please enter the hostname of the mirror from which Debian will be
> downloaded.
> An alternative port can be specified using the standard [hostname:port]
> format.
>
> Debian archive mirror hostname:
> (http://http.debian.net/debian-archive)

You can try here with just the hostname, that is: "http.debian.net"

> Please enter the directory in which the mirror of the Debian archive is
> located.
> (/debian)
> "

(...)