Re: Epson Perfection 1240U USB scanner device not found

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 11:05:43AM +0000, Camale??n wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:20:49 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 02:31:09PM +0000, Camale??n wrote:
> >> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 17:31:08 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> >>
> >> (...)

> >> Try running the above command as root to discard a permissions issue.
> >
> > Hey, it was a permissions issue!  Good guess.
> >
> > $ sudo scanimage --list-devices
> > device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname Integrated Camera virtual device
> > device `epson2:libusb:002:008' is a Epson Perfection1240 flatbed scanner
> >
> > Is it a permission problem with udev or SANE or ???
> >
> > BTW, the scanner doesn't look like a regular /dev entry.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> I'd say this could come from udev and its rules because a default Debian
> install adds your user to the "scanner" group (you can view the groups
> you pertain by running "id").

Okay, we're back in "routine administration" territory.

adding myself to group 'scanner'

/etc/group:scanner:x:111:hplip,saned,jroth
/etc/gshadow:scanner:!::hplip,saned,jroth

and then 'newgrp scanner' leads to a correct result for
scanimage --list-devices

Will that be the new status quo when I reboot, or do I have
to do something to make it permanent?

> If you are already on that group but still cannot scan with your user,
> check if there's any rule created for your device and if so, put here the
> line of reference. If there's none, maybe is that you have to add a new
> one :-?

The rule is present, I forgot to use the 'newgrp' part.

Thanks for help with (yet again) something that turns out to
be a routine problem.

Regards,

Joel

--