Re: Other Open Ports

>Try probing your system with nmap and see what it
> says.

>   nmap localhost

Thanks for this information, I didn't have nmap installed..however after I did
install nmap I received this:

/charles# nmap localhost

Starting Nmap 6.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-07-23 22:30 CDT
Nmap scan report for localhost (127.0.0.1)
Host is up (0.0000070s latency).
Other addresses for localhost (not scanned): 127.0.0.1
Not shown: 995 closed ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE
25/tcp   open  smtp
53/tcp   open  domain
111/tcp  open  rpcbind
631/tcp  open  ipp
6566/tcp open  sane-port

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.11 seconds

> I am skeptical.  Probe them explicitly.
>   nmap -p 0-10 localhost

charles# nmap -p 0-10 localhost

Starting Nmap 6.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-07-23 22:32 CDT
Nmap scan report for localhost (127.0.0.1)
Host is up (0.000054s latency).
Other addresses for localhost (not scanned): 127.0.0.1
PORT   STATE  SERVICE
0/tcp  closed unknown
1/tcp  closed tcpmux
2/tcp  closed compressnet
3/tcp  closed compressnet
4/tcp  closed unknown
5/tcp  closed unknown
6/tcp  closed unknown
7/tcp  closed echo
8/tcp  closed unknown
9/tcp  closed discard
10/tcp closed unknown

I would think this means that the grc.com port probe tool is correct in reporting
port zero and 1 are closed, but I wonder why the other 990 odd do not respond
to the probe so appear invisible to the grc.com probe but port zero and
port 1 reveal themselves as being closed. If these two ports are closed, why do
they even respond to the grc.com ping? It is as if they are waiting for the Open
Sesame.

--
CK