Re: is it rational to close the 139 port

On 7/22/2012 11:19 PM, Celejar wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 18:58:36 +0200
Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:

However, I have noticed a tendency for things to be installed or
started that open new ports, and it's easy to overlook them. Aptitude
in particular will install extra packages that you don't need or want.
For this, first thing is to disable automatic installation of
recommended packages, it is much more easy to manage then.

True, but the downside is that you're going to experience random,
confusing absences of functionality in various applications, and it can
sometimes be difficult to figure out why ...

It's dependency hell. Removing one highly useless package will very often remove 98% of GNOME and another 120 packages. I think this idea of recommended packages should be restricted to dialog box advisories only, and with good explanations as to why they they are recommended.

Mark