Re: wifi working again. Is this a network manager bug?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 16:33:50 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:22:02 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> Or is the hardware such that the network manager couldn't restore it
>>> after a reboot no matter how hard it tried?  That seems far-fetched,
>>> but possible.
>>
>> You should be able to re-engage the wireless adapter by just pressing
>> the wifi button withou needing to jump to the BIOS. What does "rfkill"
>> says?
>
> There'sno specific wifi button on my Asus 1000HE.

Netbooks usually lack from many useful keys and buttons but I never heard
wifi is one of them :-?

For instance, in my netbook the wifi key is shared along with the F12
key, but other manufacturers locate it elsewhere or even assign a combo
to enable/disable the wireless adapter (i.e., by pressing Fn+F[1-12]).

> There's just the network manager's menu (which is part of Debian, not
> part of the hardware) and the switch in the BIOS, which I'll consider
> hardware (technically, though I suppose it's firmware).

Having to enable wifi from the BIOS has to be very annoying ;-(

> Now that I know how to turn it on again, I'll try and see what rfkill
> says sometime.

This utility works together with a kernel module that handles the acpi
functions, in my case "hp-wmi", for asus laptops I can't tell.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón