Re: wifi vanished yesterday,but back now.

On 23/07/12 15:58, Hendrik Boom wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 09:57:47 +0100, Keith McKenzie wrote:

On 23 July 2012 08:23, Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton@gmail.com> wrote:
On 23/07/12 00:20, Hendrik Boom wrote:

It was working this morning.  I have an ASUS HE1000 EEE netbook.  It
runs testing.  Early this morning at home the wifi worked fine.

[...]

I right-clicked on the icon with two terminals and a red box with an
white X, got a menu, and unchecked the option that enabled wireless.

[...]

Later, back at home, I tried enabling wireless again.  TO my sutprise,
the option had disappeared from the menu.

I don't know the machine you are using, but does it have a hardware
button or touch 'thing' to enable/disable wifi? My HP laptop has a sort
of hardware touch control, and disabling wifi with network manager
(which I guess is what you did) also turns the wifi card off so that I
have to first use such hardware control.

Lorenzo.

Try 'edit connections', should be able to enable your wifi from there.
(You will probably need to enter your details.)

HTH

Yes, I tried that.  But all the connections listed there were fine.  I
saw no option to re-enable wireless there.

It seems that the network manager had somehow shut the wifi card off at
the BIOS level, and after rebooting, it was as if the device did not
exist.  Not even the Linux commands that list hardware devices could find
it.

Now I'm at the laptop I can confirm that indeed unchecking 'Enable Wireless' will disable wifi at hardware level, although here I can revert that by simply re-ticking that very option.

If I turn off the wifi with the touch control (button) then indeed the option is greyed out.

Trouble is I'm on different hardware with different wifi card etc. so I'm not sure how helpful this might be.

As Camaleón suggeted in a further email rfkill might prove useful to debug this and see the differences e.g. between 'hardware' and 'software' switches etc.

Lorenzo.

I managed to get into the BIOS, as described in another post in this
thread, and had to re-enable WLAN there.

-- hendrik