Re: Printers using free software only

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:47:27 +0200, Registros Web wrote:

> Im about to buy a printer and want to make sure I get one that uses 100%
> free software, no blobs or proprietary drivers, so I can get on using it
> even if the manufacturer decides to cease support of the printer.

PostScript printers (laser/led) are usually the best ones to get that. In
the worst scenario (imagine the printer manufacturer closes their
business and stop making printers) you can still use a standard PPD
PostScript file and your printer will at least "print" :-)

> The thing is that I can't find a place where to look for such
> information.

(...)

> So if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'll be grateful.

"OpenPrinting" used to have a pile of faqs/guides  and also a list of
linux-friendly and not-that-friendly printers, it maybe worth to take a
look:

http://www.openprinting.org/printers/

Also, openSUSE has a nice KB for this:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printer_buying_guide

But there are many printer models out there and manufacturers put "5" new
models every 6 months so I would first select a printer device I'd like
(because of its technical specs, shape and the cost of its cartridges)
and then search for information on how it work in linux.

I personally like HP printers (all-in-one devices) but unless strictly
necessary, I would avoid inkjet devices and go for a laser/led based
machine.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón