Re: Printers using free software only

...but how would one print with a word processor written to look for the printer on a printer port under the Ethernet suggestion below?
Karen

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, Registros Web wrote:

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> wrote:
Registros Web [2012-07-23 12:47:27 +0200] wrote:

Im about to buy a printer and want to make sure I get one that uses
100% free software, no blobs or proprietary drivers, so I can get on
using it even if the manufacturer decides to cease support of the
printer.

I suggest buying a PostScript printer with ethernet connection. They use
simple PPD files (plain text files) which describe printer's features.
The manufacturer should ship such file with the printer.

Also, PostScript printers can be used with generic PostScript printer
driver so you don't need to install any drivers.

Ethernet connection allows you to plug the printer to your home
NAT/router and use it from any computer behind the router. It also means
web-based configuration.

PostScript sounds great guys but, how do I now if a printer is a
PostScript printer? Do you know of any brand that makes then?