Re: Printers using free software only

Registros Web [2012-07-23 12:47:27 +0200] wrote:

> Im about to buy a printer and want to make sure I get one that uses
> 100% free software, no blobs or proprietary drivers, so I can get on
> using it even if the manufacturer decides to cease support of the
> printer.

I suggest buying a PostScript printer with ethernet connection. They use
simple PPD files (plain text files) which describe printer's features.
The manufacturer should ship such file with the printer.

Also, PostScript printers can be used with generic PostScript printer
driver so you don't need to install any drivers.

Ethernet connection allows you to plug the printer to your home
NAT/router and use it from any computer behind the router. It also means
web-based configuration.