Re: What does this mean?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>
Date: 23 July 2012 05:21
Subject: Re: What does this mean?

Using the disk I downloaded yesterday and got burnt today, there is a
fancy KDE gui, but no help screens about such trivia as getting it
working on possibly defective, broken, hardware. I got it working on a
different computer and discovered that it uses UNIONFS to overlay an
record of changes that one makes to files on the root partition.  But
even on my better computer, I couldn't find a way to exit from Knoppix
gracefully. Shutdown only shut down KDE and left the computer in a
state where it was unresponsive to any keyboard keys that I could
think to try. I had to do a press-and-hold the power button to recover
the use of the computer. When it came back up in Squeeze, the changes
that I had made to a file on the root partition were not there. The
had not been written to real disk during the somewhat brutal shutdown.

One bright spot for the day. The new memtest+ package in Squeeze has a
nice feature: It edits grub config to included memtest+ image in the
boot menu. With this, one doesn't have to have a working CDROM drive
to do a memtest. I have one running now on the problem box.

I'll be looking into earlier versions of Knoppix tomorrow.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Knoppix sites for you to get a grounding in running the live cd/dvd.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix702-en.html
http://knoppix.net/wiki/Main_Page

HTH
--
Sent from FOSS (Free Open Source Software)
Debian GNU/Linux