Re: What does this mean?

On 20120723_110432, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 04:18:07PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > I have already downloaded Knoppix v7.0.1, per Chris' suggestion, but
> > have not yet found out what to do with it. Does it have memory,
> > component test software on it?
>
> Yes. At boot prompt read help screens. :)

Using the disk I downloaded yesterday and got burnt today, there is a
fancy KDE gui, but no help screens about such trivia as getting it
working on possibly defective, broken, hardware. I got it working on a
different computer and discovered that it uses UNIONFS to overlay an
record of changes that one makes to files on the root partition.  But
even on my better computer, I couldn't find a way to exit from Knoppix
gracefully. Shutdown only shut down KDE and left the computer in a
state where it was unresponsive to any keyboard keys that I could
think to try. I had to do a press-and-hold the power button to recover
the use of the computer. When it came back up in Squeeze, the changes
that I had made to a file on the root partition were not there. The
had not been written to real disk during the somewhat brutal shutdown.

One bright spot for the day. The new memtest+ package in Squeeze has a
nice feature: It edits grub config to included memtest+ image in the
boot menu. With this, one doesn't have to have a working CDROM drive
to do a memtest. I have one running now on the problem box.

I'll be looking into earlier versions of Knoppix tomorrow.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net