Re: is it rational to close the 139 port

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> On 7/22/2012 2:59 AM, lina wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Andrei POPESCU
>> <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Only you can tell since we don't know what you use/need.
>> I felt a bit silly to ask, and a bit annoyed about myself for knowing
>> so little.
>> seems no need to share files with outside.
>> have rejected all inbound towards the port 139 and 445.
>
> If you don't need it, why not disable the service and free up the memory
> the smbd/nmbd daemons are using?  Maybe I wasn't clear.
>
> Disabling the Samba service, or simply uninstalling Samba, closes those
> ports.  When the ports are closed, there's no need to firewall them.  If
> you do anyway, it's like putting a padlock on a steel door that's been
> welded shut.  If you need a few pounds of dynamite to blow the door
> open, the padlock yields zero extra protection.  Same for firewalling.
> The solution is very simple:
>
> ~$ aptitude remove samba

Thanks, I have purged the samba just now.

Haha ... Best regards,

P.S I also found

tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:631           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:25            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:538             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN

631 is for network printer, I am confused why it need LISTEN here, I
only print once or twice each month.

What 538 is for? I googled, but I don't have 	gdomap installed, strange?

Thanks again,