Re: cron & file permissions

Mike McClain wrote:
> man cron says:
> 'In general, the admin should not use /etc/cron.d/, but use the
> standard system crontab /etc/crontab.'

I can only most strongly disagree with that sentiment!  :-)

I hadn't ever seen that message before.  Considering the fact that
Paul Vixie hasn't released nor authorized a release since the early
1990's and that all development since has happened in the various
distros I don't think that comment is authoritative anymore.  And
there isn't really a single authority to say one way or the other.  In
the end you will have to use your best judgement.

> I called it /etc/cron.d/local and from reading 'man run-parts' description
> of file names think that is not going to be a problem. True?

No Debian package would ever name their file "local".  So that avoids
any name collision.  I usually end up with several different files and
I name each of them something starting with "local" so as to make it
obvious that they are mine and not part of a package.  Using a naming
convention to avoid a file name overlap is the only concern.

Bob