Re: modifying template xorg.conf file to change monitor resolution

On Fri 20 Jul 2012 at 17:41:59 +0100, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> I have two dumb questions:
>
> 1.  Where do I enter the 1440 x900 resolution into the xorg.conf file?

By and large there should be no need for an xorg.conf file as the card
should autodetected and everything configured from what is discovered.
Do we assume the monitor is connected directly to the adapater's output?
Was the xrandr command ran with or without xorg.conf in place?

Please post the line from the lspci command which gives the card you
have. Also attach /var/log/Xorg.0.log when X is started without the
xorg.conf file.

> 2.  Since I made the new one as root and not a user will the
> permissions on the xorg.conf file need to be reset to make sure Xorg
> reads it in?

They shouldn't have to be. Here they are

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root