Re: ATI Propietary driver install in Debian Wheezy (Xorg downgrade to a working previous version)

On 11/07/12 18:23, Camaleón wrote:

[...]

> IIRC, the open source driver still has some problems with powersaving.

This ^. This is the reason I'm stuck with the xorg packets put on hold
for several months now and I can't upgrade them. Unfortunately I'm
having one of those ATi Radeon graphics chipsets that won't be supported
anymore with the new fglrx driver which is compatible with the xorg 1.12
ABI. I tried the open source radeon driver but it just doesn't cut it
for me. When I run the radeon driver the fan is spinning like mad,
making the machine very noisy; with fglrx the fan starts only when there
is high CPU/graphics activity. I tried all the sugestions regarding
slowing down the chip with the radeon driver (echo profile >
/sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method; echo low >
/sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile), but I couldn't bring down
the temperature enough so the fan would stop whining. So until the open
source radeon improves the power management I'll keep fglrx and xorg 1.11.

--
Adrian Fita