Re: [OT] Intelectual Property Law [WAS: Re: what graphic card to buy?]

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 23:45:34 -0400
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 23:30:57 -0400
> Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com> wrote:

> > Personally I think one of the biggest appeals of Debian (and of
> > Linux in general) is the commitment to freedom. IP laws and the
> > degree to which hardware vendors support freedom is relevant to
> > purchasing decisions.
>
> I agree.
>
> > Debian users need to understand that attempts to encumber knowledge
> > for profit are inherently wrong.
>
> I don't wholly agree here. I have a very strong preference for FLOSS,
> for many reasons, but I fully respect the rights of others to develop,
> sell, buy and use non-FLOSS. It is the right of others, individuals
> and corporations, to develop, market and sell proprietary software;
> it is my right to avoid such stuff to whatevenr extent possible.

Yes, when you look at it from the developers point of view, but there
can never be any advantage for the user by not having the rights FLOSS
provides. At least I can't think of any consumer case where you
would want less rights. I agree that we must preserve full
personal liberty and make changes by taking a conscious choice.

Cheers,
gaffa