Re: [OT] Intelectual Property Law [WAS: Re: what graphic card to buy?]

On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 09:38 -0400, Gary Dale wrote:
> Do two wrongs make a right?

No, I'm just kidding.

> I've got computer files dating back to 1990 on my server. A lot of it is
> in proprietary formats that there haven't been programs for in over a
> decade. These are my files that I am effectively denied access to thanks
> to closed thinking.

This is not only an issue for computers. Sound carriers as DAT and some
others are gone and I don't have the time to copy all the productions.

> Open source, free (as in speech) software and open formats aren't just
> philosophies. There are strong business reasons why we should be using them.

Full ACK! OTOH I understand that many companies prefer Windows. Humans
are creatures of habit. A friend tested GIMP and he liked it, but anyway
continued using AND PAYING PhotoShop.

Regards,
Ralf