Re: Dynamic DNS updater recomendation?

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 15:00:28 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 14:07 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> Have you looked at their list of dddns clients?
>>
>> http://freedns.afraid.org/scripts/freedns.clients.php

> yes, in fact I've actually tried several of them with very mixed
> results. This is most likely to my lack of training/experience in the
> management & installation of this type of application. I have NO
> experience in codeing except a bit of php and I'm not at all proficient
> in it. Just a few hacks of Mediawiki stuff. Several are written in perl
> and offer no clear installation or modification instructions.

I see... and yes, you're right, dealing with plain php or perl programs
can be tricky mostly when it comes to big applications that require a
specific version for the libraries or extra adding modules which not
currently installed in the system.

If I had to go with a ddns client I would check first if the router
itself provides such service (that would be easier to get and setup) but
I guess you already have looked for this :-)

Anyway, the listed clients do not seem be very complex to install (you
basically download a file) nor configure (you setup a cron task) so if
you choose one and face any difficulty with its configuration simply ask.

> The best seem to be geared toward Dyndns.com or other dns services.

You're at debian mailing list... surrender is not an option ;-P

> I particularly want to support afraid.org, & there in lies the need.
> Even the one that I have working, ddclient, is only able to work with
> Dyn.com as far as I can tell.

AFAICT, "ddclient" can work with "afraid.org" services but only for the
latest versions (higher that 3.8.0) ;-(

> I am seeking assistance from someone who has a bit of actual experience
> in this arena. Any volunteers??

I'm not that person. "Luckily" I have a bunch of static IP addresses
assigned but if I can assist you in setting up the client, just tell.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón