Re: [solved] Re: Debian won't install via businesscard

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:13:10 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> It was not clear to me that a Debian installation via businesscard
> requires an internet connection _during_ the installation: in fact, I
> downloaded debian-6.0.5-i386-netinst.iso, burned it onto CD and the
> installation proceeded until the end without problems.

Good :-)

In fact, the requirements for both ISO images are detailed in the link
you already sent:

http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/index.en.html

"(...) The "business card" image is smaller than the "netinst" image to
fit on business-card sized cds. It does not contain the base system, but
only the installer: even the base packages need to be downloaded from the
net."

> I apologize to all the listers for my mistake.

Don't worry, these things can happen :-)

> But now, please have some even more patience with this doubt of mine:
> to connect to internet I normally need `ppp', and to install ppp I need
> at least a base system ready: so, how is it possible to have an
> internet connection during the installation, i.e. before it is
> complete??

That's also documented in the Installation Guide:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apds05.html.en

Anyway, if you have a slow or unreliable Internet connection, I would
rather go for the first CD or DVD to avoid any problems.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón