Re: audio capturing in debian?

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 10:09:34PM -0400, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> Hi again,
> You wrote:
>

> >>to cointheir expression, in three words, record any audio.
> >>If I have miss typed the ink let me know.>
> >Still not sure what you're looking for; there are plenty of utilities /
> >programs in Debian that can record audio, from arecord to audacity.
> >What, exactly, are you trying to do?>
>
> I am seeking to find one single program, as audio hijack pro is one
> single program, that combines multiple recording functions...so I do
> not have to hunt through many utilities.

May I suggest you read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy

The gist:
This is usually abridged to "Write programs that do one thing and do it
well."

For a laugh have a read of:
http://www.webaugur.com/bazaar/53-what-if-operating-systems-were-airlines.html

> I do know about audacity, nice to  learn there is a copy in debian.
> But there are times when I wish to say at sound cloud, capture the
> audio of a file I cannot download, or capture an audio stream, or
> capture if the audio is embedded, or in a video when I do not want
> the video etc.

Then use another program/tool. Once you know exactly what you want to do
then it is a matter of just finding the right tool to do it.

> I can do all these things as a part of audio hijack pro, which is
> why my subject line was capturing audio in debian.
> After all when I first asked about installing, everything, meaning I
> suppose I could hunt through the pile, many suggested otherwise.
> so, again, is there a single program that puts all the functions
> into one place?

Too be honest, I don't know. For individual tasks there are many:
mplayer  (search for capturing audio with mplayer)
e.g. http://rafaelwolf.com/?p=307
etc.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X