Re: firewall

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 11:19:06AM +0800, lina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know which firewall (http://wiki.debian.org/Firewalls) I should choose.
>
> Thanks ahead for recommendation, and it will be very nice if you tell
> me why you recommend this one.

>From other posts on this thread, it sounds like you've made
progress.

I'll just add a plug for firestarter, as no one else has
mentioned it. This is by far the easiest.

I configured it quickly with the wizard, then
discovered my IMAP connection wasn't going through. In the
Events list I could see that port 993 was being blocked. I
edited the rule to add port 993 to the IMAP line. Done.

iptables -L -n

shows a much more complicated set of rules than I could
understand or configure myself -- at least without
devoting a great deal of time to it.

OTOH, my use case is rather simple, a noteback behind
a router, so I don't need the level of fine tuned
control and hardness that a server would require.

I could see how one could start with firestarter,
then later migrate to a more advanced utility
such as firehol.

cheers,

Joel

--