[solved] Re: VNC not connecting over SSH tunnel

On 10/07/12 01:10 PM, Chris Davies wrote:
Gary Dale<garydale@rogers.com>  wrote:
Thanks again Chris. If I understand your model correctly, the
"remote_router" is the ssh server and not the actual router that merely
forwards port 22 to the ssh server.
Yes. It's only now clear to me that the router isn't the ssh server. But
for the purposes of the description consider "remote_router" to be your
internal ssh server.

remote_router is 192.168.1.18
remote_workstation is 192.168.1.20
The office router  (192.168.1.1) confirms the assignments (I connect to
another remote workstation then log into the office router) as did
opening a command prompt and running ipconfig on the remote_workstation
the last time I was there.
In that case I'm out of ideas without running something like wireshark
on your "ssh server" to try and see what's going across the wire. Sorry.

Chris
Went back out to the remote site to check on things. I noticed that the antivirus on the one computer was set to not respond to pings, which resolved the question of the server not being able to ping it. Once I set it to respond to pings, the vnc connection also started working.