Re: CD image doesn't exist for download?

On Thu, 2012-07-12 at 07:18 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-07-12 at 14:45 +1000, Charlie wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 05:47:40 +0200 "Ralf Mardorf
> >  ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net" suggested this:
> >
> > >There are trillions of tasks Linux can't do.
> >
> > Wow......................
> >
> > Obviously I'm one of those who doesn't need any of these, because I
> > usually feel the opposite, but don't use windows.
> >
> > I suppose if you have a lot of money then applications written and sold
> > for windows can do anything as well?
> >
> > Good to know anyway.
> >
> > Thanks for that information.
> > Charlie
>
> Note! I'm a Linux only user! I'll repeat it: I'm not using anything
> else, but Linux. It anyway is a fact, that Linux doesn't provide a lot
> of professional applications. That the OP might have less knowledge
> about something, doesn't mean that the OP isn't using the computer for
> something professional.
> Simply to adamant that Linux can replace all other OS is grotesque,
> since some hardware vendors aren't willing to support Linux, it wouldn't
> help if Linux would provide some apps, while there's no hardware to use
> those apps.
> Industrial applications with hardware patents also are available for
> Linux only, but you'll find much more that's only available for
> Microsoft and/or Apple based machines.
>
> Even domains where Linux is usable, can be more painful than on other
> OS. I for example use Linux for audio productions. I might be mistaken,
> but I guess there's no professional PCIe card that is completely
> supported by Linux. I'm using this card:
> http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdspe_aio.php
>
> Most Linux audio folks might counter that e.g. this cards can be used
> with Linux. Yes, 'm using it myself, but some of them use bridges to
> e.g. Windows, because they're missing some audio software for Linux. I'm
> missing the same software, but anyway I use Linux only.
>
> It doesn't help to claim that Linux can do everything better, while
> Linux can't do a lot of things.

I can't resist :p, some software that isn't available for Linux and I
don't need it, but it's a famous example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune

Turn on your radio, most of the times no song in the charts is without
auto-tune.

A friend is working for measurement engineering development, they
switched completely to Windows only.

Just consumer entertainment gear, such as satellite receivers usually
use Linux, but this is stand-alone-gear, you don't need an additional
computer.