Re: [OT] Re: Why compiling.

Am Dienstag, 10. Juli 2012 schrieb Camaleón:
> > i have heard many time that people are compiling kernel on debian.
>
> That's a good example.

I wanted to have a 3.5-rc5 kernel for testing. And it did compile in about
10 minutes here. ;)

There is no need to tough, if you happy with packages just enjoy the work
of the Debian packagers. I do not compile kernels for my older laptops at
the moment.

I compiled Freedroid RPG from SVN to try out new stuff. And Supertuxkart
cause controller support had a bug in the version packaged in Debian back
then.

Basically for me usually its new not yet packaged upstream versions or
software not packaged at all at the moment I want to try it. One reason
for newer version are fixed bugs.

I did not yet compile a complete KDE or so, but some individual
applications. Sometimes I update an existing debian package for my own
personal use and possibly upload it somewhere for others to try it out.
That was what I did with Digikam at some time.

Thanks,