Re: CD image doesn't exist for download?

Kirsten,

Just past and copy to prompt:

wget -c http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.5/i386/iso-dvd/debian-6.0.5-i386-DVD-1.iso

Em 11-07-2012 12:36, Kirsten Milligan escreveu:
After several attempts over several years, I haven't yet had complete success installing Linux. I'm hungry to learn, but am very poor at computerspeak, so please be gentle.

I'm trying again. I know, some steps would be removed from the process if I'd buy disks, but I'd really like to master this.

I navigated to http://atterer.org/jigdo/ from debian.org, and am trying to follow the instructions on Atterer's page. I'm concerned because near the top of the page is the following:

'This software is now in "maintenance mode", development has stopped. Unfortunately, this means that various parts (in particular the GUI download tool) will remain unfinished,'

with a note above saying that the last update was on 2010-9-23. I wouldn't think debian.org would send me to the page, if the page were no longer useful, so I've been plowing ahead.

I have downloaded jigdo-lite (http://atterer.org/sites/atterer/files/2009-08/jigdo/jigdo-win-0.7.2.zip) (I'm using Windows XP), and I believe I've successfully got a command line interface. (I have a black window with a bunch of text that has proliferated with previous unsuccessful attempts (due to typos and the like) to access Debian's 6.0.5 CD-1 image.) At the jigdo prompt, I have typed http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.5/i386/jigdo-cd/debian-6.0.5-i386-CD-1.jigdo, which link location I copied from the list at http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.5/i386/jigdo-cd/.

What seem most pertinent to me, of the things jigdo is telling me, are the parts that say, "301 Moved Permanently," followed by a URL, then a "Resolving," followed by a "Connecting," and a "connected," then "404 Not Found," and "File 'debian-6.0.5-i386-CD-1.jigdo' does not exist!"

I decided to return to the jigdo window, before sending this, to try again, this time with the CD-1 template; maybe I'd garner more information about my trouble that way. Now I'm even more confused, because I can't get a jidgo prompt. There's just a blinking cursor at the left edge, with stuff above that looks like what I've been entering, but which seems to bleed off the right edge, though there is no scroll bar at the bottom of the window, and though I cannot expand the window horizontally (double-headed arrow appears, but doesn't work). Nothing I type makes a difference to the window; the cursor just keeps blinking. I tried making the window full-page, but it looks just the same, only bigger.

Is it clear, from what I've described, what I've done to hang up jigdo, and why I can't access the CD image for download? Can anyone help me make this work?

Specifically, is there a way to get back to a jigdo prompt, other than uninstalling and reinstalling jidgo? And is that CD image really available for download? And, if so, what do I need to do differently in order to download it?

Thanks very much for your attention.

Kirsten