Re: ATI Propietary driver install in Debian Wheezy (Xorg downgrade to a working previous version)

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 11:09:49 -0400, Gary Dale wrote:

> On 11/07/12 10:51 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 05:56:50 -0300, Ezequiel wrote:
>>
>> (please, keep html turned off, thanks :-) )
>>
>>> Hi all: Searching in the Internet I've found a way to make ATI
>>> propietary driver work under Wheezy. Of course, it implies to
>>> downgrade Xserver to a version prior to 1.12.
>>> Now I can wait fglrx 12-5 (wich is supposed to work under the new
>>> XOrg.
>> (...)
>>
>> In the Spanish mailing list, a user posted an alternative method to
>> install the latest flgrx package in Wheezy (instructions detailed in
>> this Debian's forum thread):
>>
>> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80708#p440494
>>
>> Not sure what solution (downgrading packages or patching a library)
>> would be better, though...
>>

> The problem with using AMD's drivers is that they aren't always current
> with the latest X.org. That's probably why there is no fglrx-driver in
> the current Wheezy repositories. Moreover, the driver will likely break
> later as Wheezy evolves.

That's the usual thing to happen and not only for ATI but also nvidia
closed source drivers. It shouldn't be a problem if these drivers were
ready for the xorg version in place. OTOH, when using a rolling release
(as can be "testing" when not freezed) recompiling the closed source
driver installed from upstream sources is a must when a new kernel is
installed.

> I've been down this route myself. Eventually I just settled on the open
> source drivers. They work well and are kept updated. The proprietary
> drivers are just too much work when running debian/testing.

IIRC, the open source driver still has some problems with powersaving.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón