Re: Current SSD setup recommendations for laptop with Debian

On 7/8/2012 9:32 PM, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 01:02:47AM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> On 7/4/2012 4:15 PM, Nick Lidakis wrote:
>>
>>> Stan, you gave me rant because you assumed my computer case has lots of blue
>>> LEDs. You can try again or just don't bother.
>>
>> I gave you all of the information you need.  Do you feel you are missing
>> necessary information?
>>

> I did a standard install with ext3, just like I've done with all my other
> disks in the past.You didn't mention any advice on file systems or
> journaling. Thoughts?

EXT3 is fine as that's what you know and are comfortable with.  With
your workload you'll see no performance difference amongst the 3-4
mainstream Linux filesystems.  The default data=ordered mount mode of
EXT3 should be fine.  Use data=journal if you want maximum filesystem
integrity.  With the speed of that Intel SSD you likely won't notice any
slow down--maybe a small difference going into hibernation.

> Didn't mess with anything else. I did partition (/ and /home) using the
> entire disk. Should I have left some space? Or just don't use up the whole
> disk? Or just don't care?

That's strictly personal preference.

> Laptop sure is a hell of a lot faster. Hibernate is super fast and I don't
> have to baby it while it's doing it.

And you achieved that using all defaults.  Imagine that. ;)

--
Stan