Re: What is the best way to turn off the iptables

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 11:02 PM, Mika Suomalainen
<mika.henrik.mainio@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 05.07.2012 17:28, lina wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the best way to turn off the iptables?
>
> I think that iptables cannot be turned off.
>
>> or come back to its default settings. Flush my current one.
>
> iptables --flush
> removes all rules in all chains. This might be dangerous, but if
> something bad happens, rebooting should fix it. If you didn't try
> rebooting yet, I suggest you to try it just in case.

Seems the iptables settings works immediately, no need reboot.
I guess I read online hours ago about its process is "embedded" in
kernel. (sorry, embedded is not the original description, just my
"composed" understanding.)

> <...>
>> 4] Are there someone willing to sharing some iptables template, a
>> bit mature one with explaination.
>
> I use ufw, which is iptables frontend. If I want to allow access to
> for example port 22, I just run "ufw allow 22", which allows access to
> both TCP and UDP port 22. It's also possible to limit that allowing
> access to TCP or UDP port with for example "ufw allows 22/tcp".

I installed the ufw hours ago, I can't remember which reason made me purge it.
I will re-consider it.

Thanks again,