Re: Gnome 3 fallback not working with Silicon Motion GPU

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 14:55:11 +0100, Andrew Wood wrote:

> On 03/07/12 18:02, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> Is the same when you login with a fresh-new created user?
>>
>> In principle I don't see it as a VGA driver problem :-?
>>
>> Anyway, you can check the driver in use from your /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>> and also when running "lspci -vv" (scroll down for the VGA card and
>> look for the "kernel driver in use" line).
>>

> I'll have a go and report back - the machine is at a museum where I
> volunteer so I only go at weekends.

Thats what's "ssh -X" is for, but wait... in a museum? Is the computer
that old?

> If its not a driver problem how come now I've brought the hard disk home
> and put it in a machine here with a PCI Matrox card from 1996 Gnome
> fallback mode displays perfectly?

Well, given the nature of the problem you first reported (GNOME look
showing like an old or uncomplete GTK+ style) with no additional
information it did not look like a driver problem but another thing, I
mean, for a driver problem I would expected something like your display
showing small dots (noise) or lines in the screen, flickering, windows
wrongly positioned or something like that.

By running the tests I mentioned (you can login with a new user, read
from the X logs and also the "~/.xsession-errors" file...) you could have
a better understanding on what can be happening with the museum's
computer.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón