Re: firewall

On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 15:04 +0800, lina wrote:
> On 4 Jul, 2012, at 14:15, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 11:19 +0800, lina wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I don't know which firewall (http://wiki.debian.org/Firewalls) I should choose.
> >>
> >> Thanks ahead for recommendation, and it will be very nice if you tell
> >> me why you recommend this one.
> >
> > To answer drily: Test them and report what firewall does protect you the
> > best against no attacks. Linux for home usage was safe, is safe, will be
> > safe. Yes, it's safe regarding to things I criticize. I don't criticize
> > protection per se, I only worry about toooo much security for nothing.
>
> Ha... I just realized mine is exposed at least in our department.  I can see the open ports and the OS.
> Just sometimes wish it can be invisible in some way.
>
> I tried firehol yesterday.  It's orphed.
>
> Thanks.

*chuckle* A trillion years ago I used a firewall myself. "Ports" are an
issue, I wasn't able to down- or upload by ftp. BUT, How many serious
attacks did you notice around the last 30 days?

Nobody tried to simply open your DVD drive, let alone really serious
attacks.

Regarding to the security "Linux Land" is "Pony land", there aren't
serious attacks to home computers using Linux and even serious attacks
against Linux server-users usually go /dev/null ... Hard to believe, but
Linux is Pony Land regarding to attacks.