Re: OT: need a simple CMS / website builder

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 07:50:21PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 05:05:09PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> > My kids want to make their own webpages.  I intend to host them on my
> > own server and limit who has access to them.  I need some
> > recommendations.  Wordpress?  Drupal?  This will be on a Squeeze system.
> >
> > I have a dyndns account to provide access to my dynamic IP address.
> >
> > The kids are between 6 and 11.  I want them to be able to do this mostly
> > on their own, after some training from me.
> >
> I should probably clarify this last statement.  The ages of the kids are
> between 6 and 11.  So they need something fairly simple.  They are not
> programmers (yet).
>
> -Rob

I would just install dokuwiki, a separate install for each site/child.
I would not install with apt(itude)/the debian pkg, but rather use the dokuwiki
install here: http://www.dokuwiki.org/install:downloader
You just drop the file into a dir in your webroot, visit that url, and it pretty well does the rest.
Of course, dokuwiki doesn't have as many themes as wordpress, but
it's quite simple to manage a wiki once installed, and dokuwiki (like the flatpress mentioned)
requires no db. It's all php and text files, essentially.

The kids don't have to learn html or anything, even, just a little markup.
(You might want to install a few plugins, however, so they can embed videos from youtube,
or whatever, if you like).

tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me