re Random lockups

On 03/07/12 01:38 PM, Keith McKenzie wrote:

On 3 July 2012 18:10, Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca
<mailto:debianlist@videotron.ca>> wrote:

       My desktop running Debian Sid just locked up for the 4th or 5th
    time recently.

        There is nothing is the syslog...nothing in the xorg log. The
    system just locks changing what's on the screen to yellow tinged text.
    It locks so tight that only a hard reset gets it back. Alt-SysReq
    does nothing.

        It will lockup at different places...reading mail, browsing the
    web, reading a manual etc etc

        I am running an Intel D865GBF board, and Intel on-board video.

    uname -a

    Linux sid.dummy.org <http://sid.dummy.org> 3.2.0-2-686-pae #1 SMP
    Mon Jun 11 18:27:04 UTC 2012 i686 GNU/Linux

    I have to use "processor.nocst=1" to allow this kernel to boot.

    I don't think it's kernel related as I have been running this kernel
    for a few months and the problem only started recently.

    I ran memtest86 for a couple of hours and it didn't show anything.

    Gkrellm was showing "normal temps" so neither the CPU nor the
    motherboard was overheated...voltages from what I remember were normal.

    I am  stumped. Suggestions ??

    --
    Cheers
    Frank

I had been experiencing random browser lock ups (Squeeze), & it turned
out to be my /var was filling up.

Possibly something to check.

  They are not just browser lockups...they occur at other times as
well.

  Lots of room in /var.

I suspect buggy video drivers but don't have any hard evidence to file a bug report

Does anybody have suggestions for a video card which does not require all sort of slight-of-hand and magic incantations like NVidia does ?

--
Cheers
Frank