Re: Backports on Squeeze

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 02:04:52PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 10:38:02 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> >> As usual, you go to the online search and type the name of the package.
> >> If there's a backport counterpart it will listed there.
> >>
> >> You can also query from here:
> >>
> >> http://backports-master.debian.org/Packages/
> >
> > Are you supposed to do this daily, or what?
>
> To do what? Search for a package in the backports?

An updated backport.

> That would depend on your needings, I personally do a few software
> installs in my systems so yes, when I need to search for a package I use
> the online interface.

apt-cache search should be good enough for a new package, apt-cache
policy for version info.

> > He means it being a push operation not a pull operation. No doubt he
> > already knows about querying for himself at
> > http://backports-master.debian.org/Packages/
>
> What do you suggest then?

either subscribe to: debian-backports-changes@lists.debian.org, but it
looks fairly high volume and covers all arches. Not my cup of tea, even
if your package isn't updated, you still have to download all that mail,
read it, possibly only to discover that your package isn't updated.

or

use appropriate pinning; see my message:

but Andrei's response:
seemed to dispute that, yet I'm not sure what his views are regarding
being informed of updates.
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/07/msg00103.html was my