Re: Gnome 3 fallback not working with Silicon Motion GPU

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 15:04:06 +0100, Andrew Wood wrote:

> Im trying to get Wheezy with Gnome 3 in fallback mode to work on an old
> machine which has a Silicon Motion SM712 LynxEM+ GPU.
>
> It starts up in fallback mode OK but the display isnt right. The theme
> for buttons & scrollbars is just the generic GTK look i.e no theme at
> all, (but the window border & close/max/minimise controls have the
> correct Gnome 3 look), certain widgets on the desktop like the clock &
> sound icon display as white rectangles and the terminal window, instead
> of being a white background with black text displays as all black.

Is the same when you login with a fresh-new created user?

> The xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion package is installed but I dont
> know if its actually using it. How can I check?

In principle I don't see it as a VGA driver problem :-?

Anyway, you can check the driver in use from your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and
also when running "lspci -vv" (scroll down for the VGA card and look for
the "kernel driver in use" line).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón