Re: Reason to use a partition

Hello Stan,

Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> As I replied on XFS, there's ZERO reason for putting one partition on a
> dedicated mythTV recording drive.  And since this is an Advanced Format
> drive, you instantly misaligned XFS by creating that partition.  None of
> the Squeeze partitioning tools understand ADF drives and will all
> therefore create a sector misaligned partition, causing serious
> performance degradation due to RMW cycles within the drive.

I can remember creating a correctly aligned partition about one year
ago on a 2 TB drive. I suspect this was with the tools from Squeeze
and I know that the logical block size of the drive differed from the
physical block size. However, I had to feed this information manually
to the partitioning program.

Best regards,

Claudius
--
Most people can't understand how others can blow their noses
differently than they do.