Linux install bug

Hi, I'd like to start by apologising if this is in the wrong place. I have looked, and not found a beginners/install problems place. Meanwhile I discover this glitch goes back at least to 2005. Please help me recover my faith in Debian/Linux.
I'm a 'straight out of the box' user, fail abyssmally to use the command line, find most advice itself incomprehendable - sorry!
Used Ubuntu for a while on my not-so-ancient box (Dual 1.8GHz Aspire), but now with constant upgrade it's getting slow. Ran Lubuntu, but various things don't work. I Like debian, and seek to install with Lubuntu, so have partitioned my HD into four chinks of about 50Gb, Successfully installed my earlier Ubuntu 8.10, but no support or upgrade path, so now trying to replace with Debian 6.05 net install. Have burnt two CD's now. Both boot to the first, startup, install page with the little rocket. Very nice. But no mouse or keyboard. I have also an ATI (?) older keyboard plugged in. No response from that.
All my kit is bog standard and has worked fine with Debian and Ubuntu in the past. Help!
Also, please, someone explain why this slightly fundamental glitch is still present after what ... seven years or more?
thanks, i do love Linux ... in theory.
Tony